how to butcher an american guinea hog

Download Hog Butcher Day at The Crouch Ranch, our first American Guinea Hog;2019 01 06 The American Guinea Hog (AGH).

The piglet fence worked for our piglets from day one. December 18, 2017 December 18, 2017 cardfarmnh Leave a comment. We just butchered our third American Guinea Hog at-home in September, and ed to post more pictures. The hog net works well on young pigs that are large enough to move away from piglet fencing but can still sneak through the regular pig fence. Pigs treat us as equals. But don’t get overwhelmed.

How to Butcher a Pig: Killing. I am fond of pigs. The overall percentage of lean muscle using the industry formula based on backfat at 1st and 10th rib, loin eye area and hot carcass weight is 24%. The first thing you’ve got to do when butchering a pig is kill them. Cats look down on us. I rendered 15 pints of lard from this small 100lb hog, as well! And they escaped within the first 20 seconds of them arriving to their new home. Our farm is just getting a good start in the growing up of American Guinea Hogs. ). ), but we are quite proud of ourselves for bringing home the bacon (in the back of her Volvo). There is a specific place to aim for (between the eyes, but slightly above). Thrives on pasture, needs minimal grain, farrows naturally and produces high end pork. Being docile is the most important trait for any guinea hog breeder, I would like to invite you to join the American Guinea Hog Association. My neighbor and I committed an American Guinea Hog breeding pair impulse buy (Silly women!

Also known as the Pineywoods Guinea, Guinea Forest Hog, Acorn Eater, and Yard Pig, the breed was once the most numerous pig breed found on homesteads in the Southeast. They only pooped and vomited once each on the way home. Contact; Blog; Tag: American Guinea Hog Last Harvest of 2017. Some people like lard. But we hope to be able to provide others with their own AGH to raise, and with some of the delicious pastured pork we will be able to provide from our own herd.

The guinea hog would be a very good choice for them. We use in pasture and wood lot areas. You’ll find a great place to ask questions, get suggestions and see how different other breeders experiences are. Our Flowers; Welcome; About our Farm! Some people like meat rather than lard.

Card Farm's Blog. Guinea Hogs have a gestation (pregnancy) averaging about 114 days. I also had two full blood American Mulefoot litters born the same week. They can be truly pastured pigs, preferring to graze than root about like other pigs. An American Guinea Hog should never show any aggression, ever. Nov 24, 2019 - Explore providentliving's board "American Guinea Hog", followed by 750 people on Pinterest. The Guinea Hogs have had many great days here, and one not so great. One was crossed with an American Mulefoot Hog, the other with a Large Black.

We use a .22 rifle. See more ideas about Farm animals, Pig farming and Animals. Once they get some size, the regular pig fence (30 inches tall) works fine. There’s a lot to tackle when you learn how to butcher a pig yourself. No, i’m not referring to cavies or guinea PIGS, these are guinea hogs – smallish hogs, traditionally raised to be lard hogs, who prefer to range and graze on pasture vs sit at a feeder all day.

Cut for Charcuterie, the saleable yield is 69%. Try to beat that, you rookies!. They were commonly found on homesteads in the southeastern US. The guinea hog would not be a good choice for them. A heritage hog breed, the American Guinea hog may be the best pig for your small homestead. Today there are fewer than 200. American Guinea Hog Resources.

I am all for crossing rare breed boars with more common sows. Our boar does not invade our personal space and has let children rub his belly. Life Cycle of American Guinea Hogs . The original stock for the breed came from West Africa, and over the last 200-300 years developed through adaptation and crossbreeding with Appalachian English pigs to create an American original.

You can do this! While the fruit and vegetable harvest is over, we’ve had our first experience in harvesting pork. What’s a “guinea hog” you ask? The saleable yield of a Guinea Hog, cut in the American style, is 66%. Menu. Guinea Hog mothers are docile and easy to work with even during labor, with good mothering ability.

The guinea hog furnished a lot of lard. According to the American Guinea Hog Association, "American Guinea Hogs are a critically rare breed of pig that is unique to North America. It is a way to make the rare breeds better known. Locustbrae Scottish Highland Grass Fed Beef - February Specials!

Dogs look up to us.