plato's apology of socrates summary

The Greek word "apologia" means "explanation" -- it is not to be confused with "apologizing" or "being sorry" for one's actions. But he would not have felt bound merely to reproduce, as best he could, the speech that Socrates delivered. Plato’s Apology of Socrates How you, men of Athens, have been affected by my accusers, I do 17a not know 1. ), the author of The Apology, was one of Socrates' greatest admirers, and our knowledge of Socrates stems mostly from Plato's dialogues (for competing accounts, see Aristophanes' satirical presentation in The Clouds and the writings of Xenophon).

Plato’s The Apology is an account of the speech Socrates makes at the trial in which he is charged with not recognizing the gods recognized by the state, inventing new deities, and corrupting the youth of Athens.Socrates’ speech, however, is by no means an “apology” in our modern understanding of the word.

Socrates seems to be a very simple man, not having many material possessions and speaking in a plain, conversational manner. ), the author of The Apology, was one of Socrates' greatest admirers, and our knowledge of Socrates stems mostly from Plato's dialogues (for competing accounts, see Aristophanes' satirical presentation in The Clouds and the writings of Xenophon). Share. Socrates' speech, however, is by no means an "apology" in our modern understanding of the word. University.

Yannis Simonides, in a dramatization of Plato’s “The Apology of Socrates,” Web Resources Plato’s Apology: Xenophon’s Apology: Aristophanes The Clouds: Guide to Plato’s Dialogue…

Plato’s Apology —a transliteration of the Ancient Greek word apologia, meaning “defense”—is supposedly a historical record of the speech Socrates gave to the Athenian jury after being accused of “corrupting the young and of not believing in the gods in whom the city believes.” Socrates begins his apologia by commenting on how his accusers have spoken about him.

Plato (c. 427-347 B.C. However, this seeming plainness is all a part of the ironic characteristic of Socrates' method. One day in the year 399 BC, Socrates has been accused for impiety and corruption of youth.Socrates addressed some words to the court for his defense.Later, Socrate’s student, i.e.Plato, wrote the work that we call Apology, where Socrates once again address some words to the court for his defense.

to 348 B.C. Plato's The Apology is an account of the speech Socrates makes at the trial in which he is charged with not recognizing the gods recognized by the state, inventing new deities, and corrupting the youth of Athens.

For my part, even I nearly forgot myself because of them, so persuasively did they speak. The Apology is Plato's recollection and interpretation of the Trial of Socrates (399 BC). 2 4.

Please sign in or register to post comments.

For my part, even I nearly forgot myself because of them, so persuasively did they speak. This one-page guide includes a plot summary and brief analysis of Apology by Plato.

Hide browse bar Your current position in the text is marked in blue. It offers what many scholars believe is a fairly reliable account of what the Athenian philosopher Socrates (469 BCE - 399 BCE) said in court on the day that he was tried and condemned to death on charges of impiety and corrupting the youth. For my part, even I nearly forgot myself because of them, so persuasively did they speak. 9.1", "denarius") All Search Options [view abbreviations] Home Collections/Texts Perseus Catalog Research Grants Open Source About Help.

His Apology of Socrates is a telling of the events at the 399 B.C. Socrates The protagonist of The Apology, as well as all of Plato's other dialogues.

Comments.

Summary Summary.

Apology by Plato essay.

Socrates - The protagonist of The Apology, as well as all of Plato 's other dialogues. From a general summary to chapter summaries to explanations of famous quotes, the SparkNotes The Apology Study Guide has everything you need to ace quizzes, tests, and essays. StuDocu University.

2017/2018. The Greek word "apologia" means "explanation" -- it is not to be confused with "apologizing" or "being sorry" for one's actions. In any event, the historical accuracy of Plato’s Apology should not be the only question on the reader’s mind.

Plato was born into a prominent Athenian family, and was expected to pursue a career in politics. In this dialogue Socrates explains who he is and what kind of life he led.

Socrates seems to be a very simple man, not having many material possessions and speaking in a plain, conversational manner. Summary of Plato’s The Apology of Socrates. Thus, in The Apology, Socrates attempts to defend himself and his conduct--certainly not to apologize for it. In this dialogue Socrates explains who he is and what kind of life he led. StuDocu Summary Library EN. Plato's Apology gives an account of Socrates' trial.

Helpful?