modesty desiring god

He’s also given me a desire to dress modestly. God is definitely working on me, though, because I don’t buy clothes or other material things nearly as much as I used to. Modesty and the Light of Christ As much as we want to glorify the Lord in our choice of clothing, clothing is not the main issue. But I still care a lot about how I look and find it hard to buy modest clothing because I think more revealing clothing is sexier. For 33 years, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is author of more than 50 books, including Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist and most recently Coronavirus and Christ. True modesty is the fruit of joyfully submitting to Christ, saturating ourselves with the word of God, and considering the good of others.

John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. Modesty is the offspring of humility. Modesty is behavior that flows out of remembering our true place of service, and does not conceitedly boast about the self, but boasts in God … I will just say this to any woman, any man who dresses inappropriately: Until God has become your treasure, until your own sin has become the thing you hate most, until the Word of God is your supreme authority that you feel to be more precious than gold, sweeter than honey, until the gospel of Christ’s death in your place is the most precious news in the world to you, until you have learned to … To any woman or man who dresses inappropriately I say this: Until God has become your treasure, until your own sin has become the thing you hate most, until the word of God is your supreme authority that you feel to be more precious than gold, sweeter than honey, until the gospel of Christ’s death in your place is the most precious news in the world to you, until you have learned to deny … Humility is evaluating ourselves properly, with sober judgment ( Romans 12:3 ). Modest clothing draws the eye — not to the outer body — but to the light of Christ within. In a sense, clothing should be a nonfactor, the thing that fades to the background, so that the greater can shine.