atticus talking to mrs dubose

“You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Atticus says, "I wanted you to see something about her (referring to Mrs. Dubose) - I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand." Next, Atticus and Mrs. Dubose are different because Atticus is …

Atticus tells Jems to be a gentleman and to ignore Mrs. Dubose's taunts.

One of my favourite lines from Atticus, and there are many, is when he tries to explain this to his kids, When Atticus comes home, he tells Jem to return to Mrs. Dubose's. Atticus said, "I wanted you to see something about her (talking about Mrs. Dubose) - I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. Atticus said that she was determined to die not addicted to morphine. What is a quote about Atticus talking to Jem about Mrs. Dubose? There was another reason. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her.

"I wanted you to see something about her -- I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand.

When Atticus comes home, he tells Jem to return to Mrs. Dubose's. When Atticus comes home after seeing Mrs. Dubose breathe her last, he hands Jem a candy box gifted by her, containing a “white, waxy, perfect camellia.” He tells the children that Mrs. Dubose was a morphine addict, and was told by her doctor that she had only a few months left.

Later, Atticus explained Jem’s punishment, reading to Mrs. Dubose, served to distract the old woman so she could die free of morphine while battling against a serious illness. When he came back he said that Mrs. Dubose wants him to read to her, and Atticus said that is what he’ll do for a month. In Chapter 11, Scout asks Atticus what a “nigger lover” is. Here Atticus is talking to Jem about Mrs. Dubose’s commitment to beating her morphine addiction before death, even though she knows she is going to die regardless. Where people see a morphine addicted nasty old lady, Atticus sees a lady who had a difficult life trying to die with a shred of dignity. She yells abuses at them every time they pass by, usually about Atticus and the trial. She explains to Atticus that Mrs. Dubose and Francis refer to him as a “nigger lover.” Atticus tells Scout that it is just a term that does not have any meaning. Atticus knows Mrs. Dubose suffers from severe physical pain as well as a morphine addiction.

When Atticus comes home after seeing Mrs. Dubose breathe her last, he hands Jem a candy box gifted by her, containing a “white, waxy, perfect camellia.” He tells the children that Mrs. Dubose was a morphine addict, and was told by her doctor that she had only a few months left.

Where people see a morphine addicted nasty old lady, Atticus sees a lady who had a difficult life trying to die with a shred of dignity.

Chapter 11.

Boo may be the ghost of Scout's neighborhood, but Mrs. Dubose is the dragon.

Atticus sees what most people do not in Mrs. Dubose. Asked by Tom Smith on 9/30/2013 7:26 PM Last updated by jill d #170087 on 9/30/2013 7:50 PM Answers 1 Add Yours. Scout introduces her as "plain hell" (1.14): Jem and I hated her. To Kill a Mockingbird What does Mrs. Dubose call Atticus? After Mrs. Dubose dies and Atticus is speaking with Jem on page #112. Mrs. Dubose is the cranky old woman who lives on Scout and Jem's street. Page 205 Chapter 21 Jem Child-like Jem (talking to Atticus about Mrs. Dubose): “A lady”After all those things she said about you, a lady” Page 116 Chapter 11 Jem (saying to Scout): “I swear Scout, sometimes you act so much like a girl it’s mortifyin’.”

Atticus is talking about an old lady who is a morphine addict. Atticus felt Mrs Dubose was brave because he knew about her morphine addiction. Jem went to go read to Mrs. Dubose, and Scout went with him every time. She has the courage to die sober, without the drugs she had depended on for so long.

Dubose, according to Atticus, was a brave lady who always spoke her mind and attempted to achieve her goals. He tells her that it is a term that trashy, ignorant people use to describe someone who favors Negroes over them.

Upon hearing Atticus describe her that way, Jem throws the candy box that contained her posthumous peace offering into the fire.

He tells her that it is a term that trashy, ignorant people use to describe someone who favors Negroes over them. Chapter 11. I’ll put the most important quotes in bold text below for easy reference.In the beginning of the novel, Scout only mentions Mrs. Dubose a little bit here and there, talking about what a mean old lady she is, how she finds fault with Scout and Jem and everything they do, and so on.

Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose.

She had the choice of remaining a morphine addict as she had only a few more months to live, but she chose to free herself … To Kill a Mockingbird is a unique book due to its complexity, and Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose is among the most interesting characters despite having a rather minor role. It may have been some distraction. Here Atticus is talking to Jem about Mrs. Dubose’s commitment to beating her morphine addiction before death, even though she knows she is going to die regardless.

Atticus sees what most people do not in Mrs. Dubose. Atticus said that if Jem hadn't fallen into Mrs Dubose hands, he would have sent Jem there to read to her anyway Because He felt that it was educational to read to Mrs. Dubose Atticus though Mrs Dubose was the bravest person he knew because