john 10:10 meaning

John 10:10 The thief (The Devil) comes not, but that he may steal, and kill, and destroy: I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly. Working Preacher is a ministry brought to you by Luther Seminary. The Working Preacher team believes that God uses good biblical preaching to change lives. I. ).

American King James Version ×. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." We have enlisted hundreds of friends -- biblical scholars, theologians, homileticians and pastors dedicated to the craft of biblical preaching -- to provide you timely, compelling and trustworthy content. Ἵνα κλέψῃ, that he may steal) That is peculiarly the act of a thief. This verse says, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have …
John 10:10. John 10:10, CSB : "A thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. The Greek word Jesus uses in John 10:10 to describe the kind of life He came to teach His disciples is perissón, meaning "superabundant," "superfluous," "overflowing," "over and above a certain quantity," "a quantity so abundant as to be considerably more than what one would expect or anticipate." This verse sets up a contrast between “the thief,” the destroyer; and Jesus, the life-giver.

Bad principles are the root of bad practices. And the gift of life is not a power, a principle, but a very true Person dwelling in us. The gift of the Spirit of life dwells in those who are united to Christ in a fulness more abundant than was ever revealed before. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." The " you " (John 10:1) is plural. The Good Shepherd A. (Jhn 10:1-2) Jesus is the true, legitimate shepherd, who enters Satan. In other words John 10:10 and its context is not about what Satan wants to do to us. Contrast between the Good Shepherd and the false shepherds of Israel. So the overall context, moving from John 9-10, down to the discourse, and then down to the parable in John 10:7-10, makes it clear that the thief is a … 1. We have enlisted hundreds of friends -- biblical scholars, theologians, homileticians and pastors dedicated to the craft of biblical preaching -- to provide you timely, compelling and trustworthy content. It was Jesus foretelling the Jews what they were going to do to him. Many preachers quote John 10:10 as support for the idea that Christianity leads to physical prosperity and “every good thing.” The verse has been used as a description of the Christian life, the normative pattern of life that Christians can expect because of … There is no indication there was a gap in time and it appears this discourse takes place after John 9 when Jesus healed the man born blind. He also is the “good shepherd” of His flock (verse 11). JOHN 10:10 “ I have come that you might have life ” NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV) & KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) TRANSLATION, MEANING, CONTEXT.
A primary verb; to filch: - steal. It's the continuation of Jesus' words to the Pharisees recorded at the end of John chapter 9 (see Lord, I believe!). Jesus begins to speak to them using an analogy. John 10:1-10 The Word of God ‘Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. John 10:10, NLT: "The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. Answer: John 10:10 records Jesus saying, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”. Jesus confirmed this by saying, “I am the good shepherd…and I lay down my life for the sheep” (John 10:14,15). WORDS OF JESUS IN RED. It's where we get the word "Kleptomaniac." He is the shepherd who enters by the gate which the gatekeeper opens for him (v. 2-6), and he is the gate (or door) by which the sheep enter into salvation and go out to find pasture (v. 7-9). People, who quote this verse out … Introduction: The first half of John 10:1-21 presents the relationship between the shepherd and his sheep.

STEAL; The Greek word is: κλέπτω - kleptō - klep'-to . The Lord Jesus knows whom he has chosen, and is sure of them; they also know whom they have trusted, and are sure of Him. John 10:10 The thief cometh not but for to steal That is his first and principal view; to steal, is to invade, seize, and carry away another's property. It was a prophecy in picture of Jesus surrendering his life for his church. The Working Preacher team believes that God uses good biblical preaching to change lives. Read and study John 10 with the Verse-by-Verse Bible Commentary JOHN 10:1-10. There follow worse things. Who is the "thief and a robber" (John 10:1) in this analogy? Commentary on John 10:10-18 (Read John 10:10-18) Christ is a good Shepherd; many who were not thieves, yet were careless in their duty, and by their neglect the flock was much hurt. A thief, 1) steals for the sake of his own advantage: 2) he inflicts loss on others, a) by killing the sheep, b) by destroying the remainder of their food. John 10:10- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. Working Preacher is a ministry brought to you by Luther Seminary.

By contrast, Jesus is the “door” or “gate” by which His followers have access to spiritual nourishment and eternal life (verse 9). AN OVERVIEW.